Thursday, February 26, 2015

Week 4 Reflection: Project Revision

The below post is to highlight my revisions to my previous project soft launch for my fictitious client The Holy Magdalena Cupcake Express Food Truck.  his revision was to help make necessary improvements to the website.  My objective was to identify a least 3 items that needed improvement and to take note of the suggestions and pieces that were identified by my instructor as well as my fellow classmate during their critiques of the site.

Below you will find the link to my revised website for The Holy Magdalena Cupcake Express.

The Holy Magdalena Cupcake Express


First let me begin with this was by far one of my favorite projects.  Initially when I began I had no idea where to start.  But as I moved through the site and elements it would take to build it I became very motivated to learn everything I could.  After my initial launch I shared it with colleagues as well as my personal friends and family.  After everyone gave me feedback and I went back to the site several times I began finding more items that I myself wanted to improve upon.  Once I read and heard the feedback from Julia and Instructor Wray it was even more confirmed for me what needed to be added, taken away, changed and edited.

The three items that immediately became apparent from all of the feedback and my own evaluation of the site were, the menu page, the header, and general layout of all the pages.  I changed the sizing of the logo, to my disappointment I could resize and slightly move the logo but because this site was built utilizing the free elements of weebly I was unable to maneuver it very much.  But in the end the general placement and sizing work very well.  After resizing the logo I took Instructor Wray's advice and rearranged the pages to have more of the proper bookends.  The next item that was most important for me was adjusting the menu page.  I immediately got feedback from friends and colleagues stating that they got to the page and were very excited but the were missing what the items were made of, so I added the ingredients and also rearranged the page.  The new layout is much more balanced also it looks more well placed on the page.  I was also unhappy with the layout for the pricing and felt it also could use a bit more information.  So I made the text for "Pricing" larger and a different color to help it standout on the page better.  The next step for me in completing the revision was to adjust all the page layout to be more pleasing to a visitor's eye.  I rearranged the text on the about us page and added a photo of a cupcake to keep with a more consistent layout throughout the site.  I renamed the locations page per Instructor Wray's critique which was a great idea because it shows that day's location on the calender widget.  I also added the disclaimer to every page because weebly did not allow me to add a footer since I was utilizing the free version to build the site.  I did change the accent color, unfortunately I was limited to that template's color pallet so I utilized a color that would compliment the items on the site but still keep with the more masculine feel that the client wanted.  The revision made a world of difference not only in the look but the overall feel of the site.





The following images are before and after screenshots of the site:

Header


Before:

After:



Home page


Before:
After:


About Us


Before:
After:





Today's Location


Before:
After:







Menu


Before:




After:

No comments:

Post a Comment